Blog Archive

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Trash cards from the land of my mother's people

My Occasional trading pal in WYO, Roger, who goes by Erdoro on TCDB rounded up a huge pile of stuff over the winter and sent me something like 111 trashed cards.  They go back to the very beginning of things, and I gather he had a bunch of them as a kid.  I think he said his friend marked a bunch of them up and he couldn't bear to just toss them.  I'm glad because I put something like 81 into the binder pages and have some leftover if any of you are making a trash frankenset. How would we go about trading trashed cards, would we argue over whose card is in worse shape and thus worth more in the trade? But I digress.  I can only imagine the adventure these cards have been on out in the rugged hills of Wyoming that my mothers people call home.  And when you come in from the trails Roger, reach out and let me know how I can every repay you for such generosity.  Some highlights.


One thing that is often tough to do with a frankenset is to find the #1 card.  They don't usually have the sort of action that leads to obscure categorization like guys with Glasses, or named Dick, or ball floating in air, or Ivy.  But he has given me a really nice start card. 

In fact he didn't skimp on actual star cards, which he would have been fully justified in hanging onto. 

The Spahn is really sweet and while not exactly trashed it does have paper loss, so it counts.  I'm unlikely to find a Better card that is more trashed, but if I do I'm going to take a couple pens and color in the edge on that Spahn card where it ripped off, as if I totally thought I could get away with it and nobody would notice and that act will make it the winning card in nearly all cases (send me that half honus that splits its face and we may replace it)


I mean how does this happen to cards?


There were also some good early 50s stuff amongst, many of which ended up in the binder before I even thought to take pics, so we'll have to post pages soon.  

This is my fave card of all, as much for its story, as anything.  This card was once in 1 piece, and I was sliding this into the binder when it got part way down and then snapped in half right in my hand.  Now if this happened to most you, many of you would have wailed out in anguish and cried tears of sorrow. And I supposed that's a valid response.  It had a real nice snap when it came off and I threw my arms up and wailed out in laughter at what I just done, totally by accident, yet happily so, much to the confusion of my dear old mother who couldn't understand my joy at having broken one of the cards I'm always fiddlin' with.  So, I slid it back in the binder and showed her...


...Look Ma! No Eyeballs!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Trash cards from the land of my mother's people

My Occasional trading pal in WYO, Roger, who goes by Erdoro on TCDB rounded up a huge pile of stuff over the winter and sent me something li...