I got a stack in the mail from a recent Lot from eBay.
Mostly 1959s and a few 60s, to go with a smaller stack of '64s that I too quickly bindered up before getting the pictures
For some reason there are a lot of 1959-60 low grade poor condition cards out there. The cards from a few years earlier seem to have been a different card stock that tends to be brittle and snap off rather than crease (I'm looking at you '57).
I don't know why the cards from a couple years later seem to crease differently, more in lines rather than the Lysergic Spiderwebs on these.
But the card somehow holds together.
At first glance this 68 has fewer creases taking hold, almost fighting against them.
But the one deep crease in the corner caused a ripple on the back of the card and started to separate fully from the front.
There are probably scientific papers to be written on the study of the different types of cardstocks and printing technology over the years that resulted in or prevented the damage you now see today. And I'm not gonna lie, I might very well read them, after I finish Bill James phonebook sized greatest players according to his win shares system.








No comments:
Post a Comment