Blog Archive

Friday, September 11, 2026

Stan the Man's Sunset Card Makeover

The Trashed set is a little light on some years, so I was happy to get this stack of well used 1963s.  I love that the seller rounded them up altogether and included several defaced cards with several really beat up cards and let them stand as a group.  Always nice to start off with a simple moustache.


I'm not sure what is going on with Gary Bell.  It almost looks like he has tattooed tears and a gang tag on his chin, which really seems odd for 1963


They ran over Bobby Bragen with some kind of toy truck wheels and give him an almost robot look like Bond Villain Jaws.  





It went all the way to the back of the card too. 


I'm not sure about these two.  They are just on the cusp of being trashed, not just Poor or set filler, and duplicate numbers to boot.  




The idea is not to just have well-loved or low-grade set like some do.  I'm trying to find the worst cards at each number, something that no one else would put in any kind of set no matter how desperate they were for a card.  For now, I'll consider allowing them in the back door, so to speak.  I've been experimenting with reverse numbers for times where there are dupes.  I have 2 cards #116.  So, one of them is slotted in at 611.  If I come up with a bad card #611, I have to replace the reverse number.  But I don't have to actively look for it.  So, Casey Stengel #43 can slot into the blank #34 and the Rookie Parade card #54 will go into slot #45.  I've actually done this with a number of cards across all sets that I had dupes for and Ive even had the necessity to replace a Reversed number card with their actual numbered counterpart.  In some ways this is a set that will never be done as long as I keep an eye out for worse cards.  But if I finished it somehow, I'd probably just start a new trashed set with my dupes and keep it going, maybe adding some new twist.  Like only guys who have nicknames as their first name.  

But I digress.  To sunset this blog post we have Stan the Man's sunset card. I love the addition of eyeliner Curley Qs on his eyes, but I'm puzzled as to what exactly is going on around his mouth.  



Looking closely, it looks like maybe someone was trying to lightly rough out the outlines of a Mario and Luigi mustache.  Or someone was trying to draw a giant earthworm across his upper lip.  


They even drew in a dimple.  I suppose I should photo shop it with the mustache colored in to see how Stan would have looked if someone hadn't smacked the pen out of this kid's hand.  I, for one, feel a great sense of loss that this cardboard Rembrandt was interrupted and deterred from his masterpiece.  







1 comment:

Stan the Man's Sunset Card Makeover

The Trashed set is a little light on some years, so I was happy to get this stack of well used 1963s.  I love that the seller rounded them u...