I just got a monster box of stuff from someone wanting to clear out their trash cards and it gives me a chance to show you the process I go thru when I get an unexpected box of unknown cardboard. And if you want to get rid of yours there will be an address at which you can anonymously send your trash, if you so desire.
Sometimes someone will reach out and warn me that stuff is coming and occasionally it just shows up. Even if I know a box is coming it's usually someone who says, "Hope you can use these" and occasionally "Just send me something interesting back" while being vague and mysterious as to what they might want in return. I'm guessing if someone has enough stuff to fill up a box and send it to me, they have more cards than I ever will (or frankly hope to have).
The count of total cards was north of 100 by a few. It's a pretty good-sized stack, especially considering it only covers about 5 years.
Step 1. The first think I do is to put each set in numerical order, because they usually come in in a jumble, but in this case each year was already numerically ordered. nice.
Step 2. Now that they are all in order, I pull out my ever-decreasing list of empty slots in the binder. I go thru each year and compare the card numbers to the list of binder numbers and make a list of which ones I need.
Step 3. I go thru and pull out the numbers that end up on the list. Sometimes I get different cards of the same number so I pull them both (all). We'll get to deciding which specimen of a given number gets chosen later.
Step 4. Now I have a stack of things that will fill actual empty binder slots. Without giving you a full accounting (for a future post) the stack on the right is going into the binder while the southpaw stack are "rejects". Rejects are hardly that though.
Step 5. I then sat down with the binder and a couple years of rejects at a time and compare them to what I have in the binder. You never know. Maybe #613 I just scored in this anonymously sent box of cards is in much worse shape than my Binder #613 and it can be replaced. I make mental notes on possibilities. I've been building a 2nd parallel trashed set by doubling up the best dupes. I call this backsiding a card. I'm not looking for dupes but in dealing with random lots it's bound to happen. I don't have to have a sophies choice card show just yet, although I have gotten a few numbers where 3 cards are equally trashy and those are all saved, numerically for easy trading with other trashed card enthusiasts and/or potential future trashed card sets.
Step 6. This is basically 5 backwards, but I check all the reject cards against my spreadsheet of the binder. I'll compare the cards to what is written in the sheet and see if my mental notes on replacement or dupe cards warrant a change. Actually, I'll go thru the rejects 3 or 4 times, comparing rejects to binder and then to the list and back. And I make a point to do it in different light, day/night, different lamps, etc and at different times just to see if something pops anew somewhere or if a card holds up to what I thought it was.
Step 7. In doing this much examining of the cards, and I can assure you it is a lot longer by a order of magnitude than your average grading house will spending looking at your Ozzie Canseco card, you start to notice odd things:
Like this is the 3rd time this guy has shown up. And they all look like someone tried to put a knuckle thru him.
(From previous episodes)
Speaking of 3rd time, someone has it in for Virgil Fox.
And I already had worse copies of these 3
Step 8 Typing into the list. The spreadsheet has all the card info, condition notes, historical notes and such things. I also doublecheck each card and invariably there are a few that are not as trashed as I thought and don't make the cut. I have to simultaneously make sure they have been added to the Trashed F-set collection of my TCDB and update the wants/haves/trade. Well, I guess I don't have to update the want list because I never know what card I'm gonna actually want. You can see what cards I have in the trashed set (or any Frankenset) by looking at my collections called Trashed F-Set on TCDB.
Step 9 Take pics for you. I mean how am I gonna do this blog if I don't take pictures. I suppose I could hire one of those visuals for the blind services that describes the action on a TV show or movie to tell you all about the cards, just so I don't have to take them out of the binders, but I don't think as many of you would read this. But there are a few that I don't like to take out. Not because they have the precious pointy corners and sharp edges but, because every time I touch them, they may very well crumple into dust.
Step 10 putting them into the binder. Once they are in the binder...well that's it, they are in the binder...and that was the whole point, if I'm understanding this hobby correctly.
Step 11 sorting rejects. Many of the rejects don't meet our low, loooooowww standards. A lot of them are perfectly nice filler cards. It'll have the usual corner and edge wear, but the creases are usually light and not across the player. These seem like perfectly serviceable cards for someone building a well-loved set or who needs a place holder card to upgrade. I get the appeal of a nice sharp card, but I don't really get why a small ding on a corner will ruin it for many folks. It's a matter of degree; how much you are willing to put up with. And I'm willing to put up with a lot, I guess. For now, I've got them in the collection but could swap them to trade if someone wanted to build their own set. If you are looking for ok serviceable cards, I probably have many of them. I need to raise up a war chest so that when an expertly defaced 1933 Goudy comes on the market, complete with mustache glasses and a beard, I can jump the buy it now with less regard to if it is a good deal. It's never a good deal when I'm buying folks garbage.
Now, as promised, here is an address you can send your garbage cards to, anonymously if you wish. I'll still post some of the best cards, I just won't attach your name to the shame. If you follow the other Frankensets I'm always looking for Ivy Cards, Guys named Dick and Action Parallels AKA Floating Balls in sparkles.
Randy Lancelot
3347 S. Kinnickinnic Ave #4
Milwaukee, WI 53207
SirNailhead@gmail.com














Mailed out some more trash to you this morning lol.
ReplyDeleteAny leftovers from that pile that are on my wantlist I'd be interested in trading for, any condition welcome.