Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

A real card Sophie's Choice but if she had twins.

 I found a couple choice things on Ebay the other day. this is a '51 Bowman and I almost passed by and missed the added facial hair.  I actually paid something like real money on this for the privilege of not having actual whiskers taped on, just bad pencil marks that were almost lost in the crease.


It makes me wonder if the card was creased first and then someone decided to add some (thankfully fake) whiskers on our pal.



I was really surprised to see this Sam Esposito on ebay given the condition.  Rarely do you get things this trashed sold with a straight face.  Normally people package it in a lot of low level cards or try to hide it in with some randoms.  Rarely does one try sell it at a single card rate. 
 

I mean somebody seem to have put a knuckle clear thru it.  So when it arrived I went running to the binder, I was already decided that this card was too good to  pass up and would knock out whatever was in there.  Probably a 70s miscut, I thought.  So when I got to slot 425 I was met with this.


Sad Trumpet Womp 


                                       womp 
                                                       

                                                          womp 
                                                                       

                                                                              womp 
                                                                                       

                                                                                                 womp. 


I must inform you this is not the first time this has happened.  Usually, one card is clearly way better.  But here my original card has a massive crease across his face, after which someone's dog gnawed off one of the corners.  But my new specimen has been punched clean thru with a karate knuckle punch.  I think it has happened with at least one other 1958.  I seem to recall finding a Cal McLish card that was defaced and rushed to get it as an upgrade for that spot and got to the binder only to discover I had a pretty beat up, but not defaced, Cal already.  So, if anyone wants to start your own trash set, I have dupes to trade.  Almost happened yet again yesterday.  I Saw a beat-up Ray Katt on ebay an went running to find out if it was worth replacing the...much more beat up Ray Katt. 




1 comment:

  1. Some listed that Esposito? That's awesome. Not quite as awesome as 1951 Bowman. It's such an attractive set.

    ReplyDelete

A real card Sophie's Choice but if she had twins.

 I found a couple choice things on Ebay the other day. this is a '51 Bowman and I almost passed by and missed the added facial hair.  I ...