▼

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Tufts of hair, glasses, and civil war beards with gum in them

Coming out of a big collection that came my way I discovered, almost by accident, this Hector Lopez card.  I'm not exactly sure what's going on.  Are those jagged teeth and some kind of jowls?  Maybe it was meant to resemble some period cartoon?  What was Hector doing, smiling, grimacing? The more I stare at it the more I think that's supposed to be a sort of reverse Rollie Fingers Mustache with a jagged beatnik sort of beard.  They must have thought it might slip by and end up in my action shot set if they scribbled a ball in his glove.  Nope.  It'll stay right here.


I did a recent trade with Myrke from TCDB and I was really excited to add a George Brett with a full stick of gum attached to his face, but I guess you can imagine what happens in the mail sorting facilities.  Right now the Penny Sleeve is the only thing holding the gum together.  I'm seriously considering gluing all the pieces onto the card in exactly this pattern.  Or would it be easier to put it in the air fryer for like 22 seconds, so the gum melts to his face. 



He threw in, almost as an afterthought, a Tony Fernandez that "someone drew glasses on" which didn't do anything close to justice by way of description.  Frankly this is a tour de force and the little straggles of hair under his cap totally make the whole thing come together.  You just don't see that kind of subtle attention to detail in art anymore.  


More often you get something like this: Dick Ricketts sounds like a horrible disease to have, but he was both a baseball and basketball star in the late 50s.  Someone clearly thought he was also a long-lost civil war general.  If anyone has a spare Dick Ricketts Cincinnati Royals Basketball card I need to add it to the Dick Frankenset, which is coming on nicely itself.   


I've started with all the Dicks from each year of the Tops run from 1951-85, adding them to the want list.   The general idea is to have a sampling of each year of Topps with room enough to add a sample or two of other brands or oddball inserts. And the name Dick was not attached to any mega stars thus keeping most cards affordable while they also show up easily on a checklist.  Since the pages are double sided and the years are spaced every other page there is room to add other brands like Fleer and Bowman but also add the occasional Football player like Dick Post or race car Driver Dick Trickle.   Luckily, I have a clean copy of this card for the Dick Binder.  If you got something along those lines, you wanna trade you know how to get in touch.




1 comment:

  1. The Brett is a work of art. I think you should use the glue method... but the air fryer tactic sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete