▼

Sunday, September 13, 2026

They Tried to pick Don Mossi's Nose right off the card!! Who would do such a thing??!?

 I got a pair of cards each from a pair of Ebay sellers.  First up is our old pal RedBirdOctober who had the mockups of Nolan and Thurman RCs.  He did me a major solid on these cards and most of his stuff is in quite nice shape (so go check out his lots of various years at decent prices).  


I just had to have this, Joe Rudi.  It was in another lot, and he was nice enough to pull that one card out of the lot and place it separate so I could grab it.  


To show my gratitude I bought a lot of 60-2 Post cereal cards on which someone had gone to town on this poor chap. 



Stop!  Look at what they have done to Ken Hunt.  I'm mean look at the confidant strokes on the goatee under a perfectly barbered mustache.  The glasses are simple and bold and makes him look like a man of gravitas.  This wasn't some punk 8-year-old kid.  This was his older brother. Greasy long-haired brother who was in high school and carried a switchblade. He knew how to vandalize something quickly and simply while the principal wasn't looking.   A true JD who sniffed glue made this one of the very finest examples of its kind in this whole collection


You really should go check out RedBirdOctober's other stuff on his eBay store.  Their cards are in much better shape, I can assure you.  And he's given me deals that were more than fair.


I scored the Don Mossi for the ages from a fellow state seller.  




Since they deal in high end stuff, I'm not sure if they would want their name to be associated with what someone did to Don.



  They tried to pick his nose off the card!!

Now I would have thought his nose would have been the 3rd or 4th most offensive facial feature on what Bill James wife called the ugliest player of the 50s.

Shortly after that the same anonymous chap got me a dog chewed Casey Stengal to slot in at #29. His own dog, no less.  That's service.





This will mean that I'll have to backside this Tom Brunansky.  I won't pull it altogether because it is the single example that I have of taping things onto a card to make a new card (like RedBirdOctober shared with us).  It would be cool to find more of those types of defacements, should you happen across any you wish to get rid of, dear reader. 


In fact, as I sit here typing this it suddenly strikes me as a brilliant idea gluing Brunansky to the back of Casey so that Brunansky IS the back of Casey.  This would be Frankestiening on so many different levels that is blows right by Ironic and straight into surreal.

And finally, this Bowman gem was used to scrape up the gob after someone hocked a loogie on the dugout bench.  



The look on Cliffs face looks like he got more than a big whiff of the gob of chew, maybe even a taste.  He seem to have one eye partially closed to prevent the juice from burning while his other eye waters and he tries not to yak up his pregame meal.  



Whatever the hell happened this card had quite a story


1 comment: