▼

Friday, September 4, 2026

The reason all these sub brand offshoots make me so very happy

 Sometimes it turns out all these different brands that Topps, et al. are pushing turns out to be a blessing.  I wanted to add this Kyle Isbel to the Action Parallel (AKA Floating Balls in Sparkles) Frankenset.  It's got the Bat and the Ball floating, which so nicely ties the two themes up.  


I was all ready to pull the trigger on this, all but sure that there is no card at #220 that I couldn't replace with this one.  

Until I got to slot #220 and found it was the Randy Johnson  All Black.  


His last card, in which he is doing god knows what kind of dance move on a plain black feild with the ball floating away as if he was trapped in the great void of interstellar space.  So that is a no go.  I thought about adding Isbel as a back slide parallel.  Sort of a parallel to the original Parallel card that I often do to avoid a Sophies Choice.  At some point I may have 2 full Frankensets in every binder because of the front and back thing.  But Isbel deserves to be front and center and it would be disrespectful to the very card to give it also ran Status.  

But in looking at the cards he had I came to understand that the same image was issued in the Chrome Set with a DIFFERENT number.  


Now we're cooking with gas.  


I'm not a huge fan of the Chrome series.  I generally avoid the base cards which look flat and lifeless despite their shininess.  The Refractors are better, but they still have the outline on the ball and bat and such that takes away a bit from the image, but hey, this refractor is purple, so it's an even better parallel than a plain refractor.  I do somewhat prefer the flat cardboard parallels.  So, I did more research. Turns out there is yet another number on this image from the 2021 Topps UK edition.  #178 to be exact in black, blue, gold, purple and union jack!! borders and each SNd.  

So far, no luck on replacing it with a UK card, but if you have any of the UK #178 parallels, I'm inclined to give up a lot for it.  Don't care which one.  I probably could go buy the one on ebay for $5, but trading is so much more fun.  So, make me an offer.  


2 comments:

  1. That Isbel photo is the example of perfect timing. The floating bat and ball are cool... but I love how he's tracking them with his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of which would be so much crisper and clear on a paper card which is why I need someone to trade me a UK series parallel. But it does look pretty sweet in the binders

      Delete